Police Briefs 06-02-2016


Chelsea Police detectives and State troopers assigned to the Suffolk DA’s office are investigating the death of a 4-month old boy discovered around noon on Monday, Police Chief Brian Kyes and District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

A family member found the child unresponsive in their Washington Avenue apartment at about noon. He was transported to Whidden Memorial Hospital, where he was pronounced deceased. A preliminary examination of the body did not reveal immediate signs of violent trauma and the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner will conduct an autopsy to determine the cause and manner of his death.  Detectives have likewise not developed evidence of foul play but their investigation remains active.

As with all death investigations, anyone with additional information is asked to share it with police. Chelsea Police detectives may be reached at 617-466-4805 and the Suffolk County State Police Detective Unit, which has jurisdiction over unattended deaths in Chelsea, may be reached at 617-727-8817.


On Tuesday evening, May 31, at 6 p.m. Chelsea 9-1-1 received multiple calls reporting a building fire at 144 Bellingham St. Upon arrival firefighters under the command of Acting Deputy Robert Denning reported a heavy smoke condition and fire in a bedroom ceiling on the second floor. Crews from E2 and T1 stretched a 1 ¾ attack line to suppress the fire while E3 and L2 opened up the affected areas and performed ventilation and roof operations.

Crews quickly knocked down the fire which was confined to a second floor bedroom. Cataldo Ambulance was requested to the scene to evaluate a second floor tenant that suffered smoke inhalation in an attempt to put out the fire. The tenant was eventually transported to the hospital. CFD Arson Investigator Captain Michael Gurska responded to the scene to determine the cause of the fire. Members from Chelsea Inspectional Services Electrical and Code Enforcement. Emergency Management Director Robert Verdone also responded to the scene to assist the Red Cross in the relocation of several residents that were displaced by the fire. Everett and Revere Fire provided mutual aid coverage during the fire.

The cause of the fire is under investigation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *