Sgt.Christopher Young Vars of Chelsea MIA/POW Remains Buried at Woodlawn

By Sue Ellen Woodcock

Arthur Vars had always heard about his uncle, Sgt. Christopher Young Vars but no one ever knew what became of him after his troop battled in North Korea and was overrun by Chinese forces near the Chosin Reservoir.

General MacArthur was in Japan and told the troops they’d be home by Christmas. That never happened in the Vars family.

“No one ever really knew what happened until his remains were found,” said Arthur Vars. “I got a call from Kentucky this past July 14, it was my father’s birthday. My father always thought about him.”

Tuesday, Oct. 6, the remains of Sgt. Vars were returned to his family and buried in Woodlawn Cemetery in the family plot which include Sgt. Vars’ parents Charles Andrew Vars and Olive Francis (Leman) Vars. Gov. Charlie Baker ordered all flags to be flown at half-staff. Baker also attended the funeral service held in Reading. Also attending services at Woodlawn were Everett Mayor Carlo DeMaria, Everett Veterans Director Joseph Hickey and assistant Veterans Director Gerri Miranda and state veterans’ secretary Francisco Urena.

The service at the cemetery included the Westford Firefighters Pipes and Drum band and the Boston Fire Department Color Guard. Everett Fire Department Ladders 1 and 2 made an archway at the cemetery entrance with the American flag hanging in the middle. As the hearse entered the cemetery the chapel bells tolled 12 times. The motorcade was escorted by the Patriot Guard motorcyclists.

A young man living at 55 Garland St., in Chelsea, on the Chelsea-Everett border, Christopher Vars, served in the Army in World War II. He reenlisted and became part of the Company E, 9th regiment of the 2nd Infantry Division. He was classified as POW/MIA on Nov. 29, 1950. Christopher Vars apparently was captured and marched to Prisoner of War Camp #5 in Pyoktong, North Korea. His remains were identified by the Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency Laboratory and returned to his family on Sept. 9, 2015. His remains were part of 208 boxes of remains given to the United States in 1990. Remains were identified using DNA testing.

Christopher Vars was born in Chelsea on May 16, 1910 to Charles and Olive Vars. He was declared dead on Dec. 31, 1953. He had four brothers and sisters, all deceased. He his survived by many nieces and nephews and many great and great-great nieces and nephews. Nephew Arthur Vars of Reading made the arrangements for the uncle he never knew.

One niece, Carol Vars-Stout of G

A Master Sgt. hands nephew Charlie Vars, of Amherst, N.H. the shell casing from the 15-gun salute delivered by members of the Air Force stationed at Pease Air Force Base.

A Master Sgt. hands nephew Charlie Vars, of Amherst, N.H. the shell casing from the 15-gun salute delivered by members of the Air Force stationed at Pease Air Force Base.

eorgetown, Maine, said the space for Sgt. Vars was set aside in 2009. She is an avid genealogist and discovered Sgt. Vars in her research.

Nephew Charlie Vars, of Amherst, N.H. said Sgt. Vars had an eighth grade education and had a rough life. Today his relatives are scattered around New England, but now Sgt. Vars has a home with his family in Everett.

1 comment for “Sgt.Christopher Young Vars of Chelsea MIA/POW Remains Buried at Woodlawn

  1. October 17, 2015 at 3:45 pm

    Welcome home Sergeant! “His lord said to him, Well done, you good and faithful servant…” Matthew 25:21. God Bless you and thank you for your service!

    Congratulations to all who investigated this case. There are still over 83,000 brave men and women who remain missing from World War II and onward that many are working to locate, recover, and help identify so that their families can finally have the closure that they deserve.

    The Joint POW/MIA Accounting Command (JPAC) was recently disbanded after an avalanche of scandals were exposed by NBC, CBS, Fox News, NPR, the AP, and Stars and Stripes. Multiple government investigations then found gross mismanagement and a total lack of leadership. The American public and families of our lost heroes channeled their anger, frustration, humiliation, and feelings of betrayal to demand the immediate removal of those responsible for what the the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Martin Dempsey, testified was “disgraceful”. Sadly, the government’s idea of the massive reform necessary has been a superficial name change of the organization and re-shuffling the same poor executives and laboratory managers to new desks and titles in a brand new $85 million dollar building in Hawaii.

    There are many truly dedicated men and women who worked at JPAC in non-management roles who believed in the mission: researchers, military recovery specialists, and field investigators who hack through jungles, climb mountains, and wade rivers only to be sabotaged in their work by a completely dysfunctional command. They are dismayed, disillusioned, disheartened, disgusted, and still disbelieving of what they experienced at JPAC and what they now see as a lack of action in holding those responsible accountable for their abysmal failures.

    The current average time for identification after remains are received in the DPAA/JPAC laboratory is ELEVEN YEARS! This particular case took DPAA/JPAC over TWENTY-FIVE YEARS to identify the remains! UNBELIEVABLE!
    If the government allows private forensic laboratory identification of these remains recovered, the results should be completed in no more than 60 days using modern scientific methods. When the Department of Defense requires examination by their own laboratory at the Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency (formerly JPAC), their antiquated methods and dysfunctional management could take years to accomplish the identifications of all of those found, if ever.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *