Police Briefs 07-02-2015

On Tuesday morning the Chelsea Fire Department under the command of Deputy John Quatieri responded to the Salvation Army Thrift Store located at 456 Broadway for a report of an unknown odor. It was also reported to 9-1-1 Dispatchers that several employees were experiencing medical issues due to the odor and the caller was advised to immediately evacuated everyone from the store.

Upon arrival Firefighters from Tower 1  entered the store in full protective gear to evaluate the air quality with a Multi Gas Meter while Engine 2’s crew checked adjacent building as well as the outer perimeter for any hazardous material emanating from the building.

The incident was upgraded to  TEIR 1 Response and the MetroFire Haz-Mat Response Team was requested to respond to assist.

Also on scene was Revere Fire Chief Gene Doherty who was part of the Haz-Mat contingency. Three employees were evaluated at the scene by members of Cataldo Ambulance. However it is unknown if any were transported to the hospital. The fire department also responded to the same location Monday on two separate occasions.

In the first incident, nothing was found. During the second it was discovered the odor was caused by a possible release of pepper spray.

The incident is currently under investigation. Here, Deputy Quatieri and Revere Fire Chief Gene Doherty confer with members of the Haz-Mat Team on Broadway.


Chelsea Police closed down Williams Street and Chelsea District Court for a time on Monday afternoon due to a suspicious device found in the area, which turned out to be non-threatening.

In the afternoon hours, the police were alerted to a device that was suspicious near the Court House.

The State Police Bomb Squad was called in and, in short order, determined the device to be non-threatening. The Court House was re-opened, as was Williams Street, though there were severe traffic backups.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *