Gas Leak Forces Residents to Evacuate

Some 150 Chelsea residents had to be evacuated from thier homes Monday night due to a gas leak on Broadway.

The incident occured Monday night around 9 p.m. when inspectors checking natural gas levels on the street found a leak.

Chelsea City Manager Jay Ash said the levels were 10 times higher than the acceptable safety levels.

The Chelsea Fire Department immediately began evacuating a city block of Broadway , between 3rd and 4th Streets.

Ash was on the scene comforting evacuees and helping with the relief effort until residents could return home.

150 residents, some children, had to wait in below- freezing temperatures before MBTA buses could be secured to keep residents warm.

It took less than an hour for National Grid crews to find and cap the gas leak.

No injuries were reported and residents returned home by 10 p.m

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *