City Manager Advises 24-Hour Curfew as Chelsea Becomes ‘Hot Spot’

Chelsea City Manager Tom Ambrosino couldn’t stress enough Wednes­day morning how pre­carious things have be­come in Chelsea with the COVID-19 outbreak, as the city has become a hot spot for infections, and Ambrosino advised every­one to stay inside 24 hours a day if at all possible.

There were 356 reported cases as of Tuesday night in Chelsea, but many – in­cluding Ambrosino – said it’s likely many multiples of that number. Chelsea, along with Revere and East Boston have been noted as hot spots outbreak.spots in the state for the outbreak.

“That number is only the number of people test­ed and those tested in our community is just a small percentage of the popula­tion,” he said. “We’ve tried to keep the message simple, the message about staying home unless it is essential to get out of the house because you are an essential worker, need to go to the grocery or to get medicine. The Boston mayor set a curfew from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. We’re going to say there is a cur­few all day long – 24 hours a day. That’s our advice. It’s not an order, but our advice right now is to stay home. It’s voluntary compliance. We’re just saying there is no magic number with 9 to 6. People right now should stay home at all times if they can.”

There were no official rates posted for Chelsea, as so many are sick but hav­en’t been tested or sought treatment. Some estimates in the media were that the rate was 71 per 10,000, which is staggering when compared to Boston’s over­all rate 18.1 per 10,000 rate on April 2.

“From what we can de­termine, Chelsea has by far the highest rate of infection per 10,000 residents in the Commonwealth,” said Am­brosino.

The City has logged eight deaths attributed to COVID-19, with five of them being at the Soldiers’ Home, and 36 people have recovered from the virus.

In Everett, an order is­sued on Tuesday included giving the police the ability to fine those that defied the curfew $300 per day. Am­brosino said the police will not be empowered in Chel­sea to practice enforcement of those in defiance, but he said large groups of people would be moved along.

“The Chief and I feel that voluntary compliance is what we’re looking for,” he said. “We have engaged gatherings and had them disperse. It’s not practical to write citations when peo­ple have no obligation to give police their name or information. We’re not go­ing to be locking people up. We’re trying to get the in­formation to people and get them to comply voluntarily for everyone’s safety.”

•Construction has been mostly shut down

Ambrosino said con­struction has not been com­pletely shut down, but they are mostly following the governor’s edict about lim­iting construction as much as possible.

One of the few projects that will continue is the hotel project on 2nd Street, and that’s only because Ambrosino said he wants it to be ready in case it should need to be used for COVID-19 overflow.

“We want to get life-safe­ty systems in there in case we need to use the hotel for the COVID-19 response,” he said. “I’d rather have it ready than not ready. There are some continued life-safety items that need to be put in there, including an elevator.”

•CPS Meal Distribution will continue

While Everett Pub­lic Schools shut down its meals distribution sites this week, Ambrosino said it is too crucial a service for Chelsea families to shut down.

“It’s a balancing act on everything,” he said. “We feel in Chelsea that food distribution is too critical to the survival of our families to stop it. I recognize there is risk in running the pro­grams, but the distribution of this food is essential we feel.”

15 comments for “City Manager Advises 24-Hour Curfew as Chelsea Becomes ‘Hot Spot’

1. Michael Horgan
    April 9, 2020 at 12:51 pm

Another optional curfew people will ignore people are still going out at 2am for scratch tickets until local governments make it mandatory and enforce it nothing is going to change and I work in a convenient store so I am not very optimistic people will continue to go out for non essential things

2. Sandy
    April 9, 2020 at 3:15 pm

I think you should make it mandatiry becouse this people here don’t listen and they should get a fine to like that they stay home

3. April 9, 2020 at 3:30 pm

I work for the Chelsea food service and we need the mask , so I went to BD’s discount and bought a box so I could give some to all of the girls so they can be safe. They charged me 70$ plus taxes came to 75$ isn’t that price gouging? I really believe they should start checking on the stores that are charging way too much for things we need.

4. P.R. Chapman
    April 10, 2020 at 9:46 am

How about we wait until Monday for the 24 hour idea, as Sunday is Easter Sunday. Just a thought.

5. Kane Dimasso-Scott
    April 10, 2020 at 2:57 pm

Hey Joanne, get in contact with us on this matter. We can help look into it. Email me at: [email protected].

6. April 11, 2020 at 7:16 am

Since I have underlying health problems and a compromised immune system can I get tested? I don’t drive because I’m legally blind so that’s a problem. Can you help me?

7. Kane Dimasso-Scott
    April 11, 2020 at 2:49 pm

Hello Jamie…the best thing to do would be to call your primary care doctor if you show symptoms. If you have no symptoms, just stay put and do your best to keep away from others. One of the best resources if you live in Chelsea is 3-1-1. That’s a good start if you don’t have a primary care doctor.

8. LENNY CAMS
    April 12, 2020 at 4:20 pm

Somebody should really shut down B D store for selling masks for 75 dollars a box that’s not right at all ill bet my life the owners are not Americans its a dam shame

9. Donna M Frongillo
    April 13, 2020 at 8:44 am

Chelsea is the forgotton City since we are in “receivership” of Boston and do not have a Mayor. I think the Mayor of Boston should be doing more to contain the spread in Chelsea but It wont happen because Like I stated Chelsea is the forgotton City and we will all just be left to die!

10. E
    April 13, 2020 at 8:52 am

Marty Walsh needs to be more involved with this problem in Chelsea. I agree that Chelsea gets over looked because we are in receivership of Boston. More information should be put out in Spanish in this town. More than Half the city of Chelsea does not understand nor speak English… DO SOMETHING MAYOR WALSH!

11. Donna Frongillo
    April 13, 2020 at 8:56 am

Chelsea is the forgotton cith in receivership of Boston. Mayor Marty Walsh needs to be more involved in whats happening here. I think my comments are being deleted because I mentioned that we are the forgotton city. Thats just wrong! HELP US!

12. Anne P Frongillo
    April 13, 2020 at 8:58 am

Kane Dimasso-Scott why do you keep erasing the truth about whats happening in this city? I should say whats not happening. The mayor of Boston needs to get more involved with whats happening here in Chelsea! Stop deleting what I write!

13. Frongillo Donna
    April 13, 2020 at 12:39 pm
  14. Kane Dimasso-Scott
    April 16, 2020 at 1:32 pm

Hello Donna…Chelsea is actually not part of Boston. It is a separate City. The map you have is only of Boston food sites. Chelsea has it’s own program and the National Guard started helping today to deliver food. Below are the updated Chelsea meal sites, as published in today’s paper. Pick up the Record if you go out, or see it online here ‘Full Print Edition’ for all info you need.
    •Early Learning Center
    •Mary C. Burke Complex
    •Williams School (Wright/Browne Middle Schools)
    •Clark Ave School
    •Voke Park
    Meals will be served during April vacation next week.

15. Kane Dimasso-Scott
    April 16, 2020 at 1:37 pm

Donna…Not deleting your comments. We just got slammed with more than 200 legit comments about unemployment payments and what’s happening with them. Took us awhile to sift through them all. On your point, Walsh and Boston do not have the legal authority to step into Chelsea. However, Gov. Baker has marshaled a ton of resources into Chelsea as of Tuesday. National Guard should be out and about today. Everyone with symptoms can be tested at MGH Chelsea or BI Chelsea. Check out this week’s stories.